Missions at UAUMCParticipate in Hope and Faith-Based Services
Here are some of the many ways that Union Avenue UMC supports the missions of the church. For a full list of how we gave in 2019, see the list at the end of this page.
Alliance Community Pantry
UAUMC supports this free food distribution to families in need, by providing funds and volunteers.
Alliance Homeless Shelter
We support the Alliance Emergency Residence, which supports individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
Phone: 330-821-6332 or 330-452-4363
Canton Calvary Mission
We support this mission which offers a safe haven and center for learning
and spiritual and physical needs in one of the poorest areas in Stark County.
Domestic Violence Shelter Fundraiser
UAUMC helps to support the shelter that supports and empowers survivors of abuse.
Phone: 330 -823-7223
East Ohio Shared Ministry Giving
UAUMC participates this shared ministry which supports United Methodist health and welfare institutions, United Methodist related colleges, community ministries, and mission work across the US and 165 countries. (UAUMC meets 100% of its goal annually.) Phone: 330-499-3972 or 1-800-831-3972
Habitat for Humanity
We support this housing ministry through funding and volunteering. Phone: 330-823-2448
We support the Salvation Army with food donations and funds. Phone: 330-823-5188
Tuscarawas District of the East Ohio Conference
UAUMC is part of this district with a mission to encourage, serve and communicate with the local church leaders of 83 congregations. Phone: 330-492-7817
Alliance of Churches Emergency Assistance
If you need help with emergency assistance, the church does help. First, contact the Alliance of Churches at 330-821-6648 to complete an application. They will then contact us and we will contact those in need.
Carnation Days in the Park
Sponsored by the United Methodist Men, and staffed by volunteers, brownies and iced tea are sold during this mid-August community festival.
College Care Packages
We provide treats and encouragement to area college students at final exam time.
Volunteers prepare and serve a free spaghetti dinner at Christ United Methodist Church on the first Tuesday of every month, sponsored by United Methodist Men of UAUMC.
Fair Trade Sales
Coffee, tea and chocolate can be purchased on Sunday mornings (Fellowship Hall) and 9 – 1 weekdays (office). These sales help to support fair labor practices and prices for growers and their families.
Hearts and Hands Quilters
Volunteers create and distribute handmade quilts to offer comfort and support to those experiencing illness, or to celebrate special events in the life of members of the congregation,
i.e., retirements from church service, special anniversaries in the life of the church, etc.
Apple Dumplings Project
Coordinated by the United Methodist Men, the making and selling of these popular apple dumplings runs from late September to Thanksgiving. Money raised goes to community projects, including the Pastors’ Discretionary Fund, the Food Pantry, and many more.
UMU Student Service Trip to Third-World Country
The UAUMC congregation provides funds to support college student participation in the annual spring break service trip.
UAUMC MISSION OUTREACH FOR 2019
Union Avenue United Methodist Church is a generous church! Our members give of their time, their talents, their resources, their money, and their prayers to support the missions of our local Alliance area, our United Methodist district and conference, our country and our world. (Other mission support might have inadvertently been omitted.) Thank you for the many ways that YOU helped during the past year!
Local Alliance Area Mission Support:
- Community Outreach Fund-$11,979.20 (in 2018)
- UAUMC Preschool Scholarship Fund-$3,182.13
- Alliance Community Pantry-Many UAUMC volunteers; thousands of non-perishable food items and toilet paper given; $784.83 donated
- Habitat for Humanity- many volunteer hours providing workers, lunch and devotions in 2019 plus $5000 for Apostle Build house
- College “care packages” delivered during exam week
- Dinner provided for UAUMC preschool families before their “Spring Sing”
- “Hearts and Hands Quilt Ministry” created quilts for church members with special circumstances
- Alliance Domestic Violence Shelter-$150 to honor moms on Mother’s Day
- Alliance Men’s Challenge group -$150 to honor dads on Father’s Day
- Volunteers for “Meals on Wheels”
- “Friends ‘n Fun” evenings-No cost babysitting provided for young parents on several Friday evenings throughout the year
- Church volunteers rang “bells” for Salvation Army during Christmas season
- OASIS ministry for Univ. of Mount students-Christian fellowship
- A-FIRST permanent housing for homeless-children’s birthday gift cards ($300 worth) to Dollar General plus volunteers provide birthday cupcakes; Backpacks and School Supplies-hundreds of school supplies and many backpacks donated to at-risk school-age children; plus $427 for supplies for high school kids
- UAUMC Preschool donated toys to Alliance Firefighters’ Toys for Tots; food items to Alliance Community Pantry; in addition to 450 children’s books and 48 stuffed animals to the Alliance Domestic Violence Shelter
- Free monthly spaghetti dinners provided for community members in need at Christ United Methodist Church
- UAUMC volunteers provided and delivered Thanksgiving meals for Christ UMC
- 2019 The Giving Tree-clothing, books, games, toys for 65 children at Christmas: served 4 families from UAUMC Preschool and church, providing kids’ gifts, $25 Giant Eagle gift card and apple dumplings for those families PLUS gifts to children in 12 families at A-FIRST and a $10 gift card to Aldi’s for each A-FIRST family
- United Methodist Men supported: Alliance Community Pantry-$1071; Community Outreach Fund-$1000; Salvation Army-$1000; Alliance Domestic Violence Shelter-$300; YMCA Strong Kids’ Campaign-$300; Church youth camperships-$700; UMU Kramer trip-$500; Alliance Men’s Challenge-$300; Graduate gifts and breakfast-$118; Free community spaghetti dinners-$2,800;Carnation Festival booth fee-$300;UAUMC Preschool spring sing food-$193; Pegasus Farm-$100 (WOW!)
- Copeland Oaks bus transportation for senior members
- “Cooks on Call” made and delivered meals to church members after surgery, death in family, new baby, etc.
- Pentecost Sunday “Wear Red, Share Red”-red (and other) food items brought for Alliance Community Pantry
- 2019 UAUMC Bible School-donations to provide funding for “Let’s Get Growing”-seeds for Haiti
- Volunteers visit residents of McCrea Manor nursing home
- “Christmas in September”-hundreds of items donated to support Bel Air Care Center’s elderly residents’ Christmas care packages plus $60
- Hundreds of hats, mittens, gloves, socks and scarves given to free Community Diners for winter warmth in addition to packages of small personal care hygiene products
- “Kids’ Capes of Courage”-donated $712 to provide materials to capes for kids with serious illnesses
District, Conference, and National Mission Support:
- Golden Cross Sunday (support for Copeland Oaks & Crandall Medical, Flatrock Home, Ohio Guidestone, Wesleyan Senior Living, Elyria Senior Living)-$312
- Canton Calvary Mission-Covenant pledge-$500
- Native American Sunday-$217.00
- Strength for Service Sunday (devotional guides for military)-$208
- United Methodist Women-Donations-$1620 for pledge to missions(shared with district, conference and national missions); $100-Thank Offering; Prayer and Self-Denial-$80.26; special mission recognition-$80
- United Methodist Student Sunday-$205.00
- United Methodist Conference askings-$11,566.11
- Dave Andrews’ support of Kairos prison ministry at Trumbull Correctional Institution and many donated cookies from church members
- United Methodist Shared Ministry-$3,002.87
- Human Relations Sunday-$218.00
- United Meth. Conference Mission Apportionments-$14.768.00
- OASIS donated $590 to support the Valentine Project (care boxes for children with life-threatening illnesses and their siblings)
- Monetary donations to TSA workers at Akron-Canton airport during government shut-down
International Mission Support:
- Sale of Equal Exchange coffees, teas, cocoas to support third world farmers
- World Communion Sunday-$10
- Church World Service Tools and Blankets Sunday-$440
- UMCOR Sunday-$1630.94
- Peace with Justice Sunday-$275
- Africa Univeristy, Steubenville Urban Mission, Bishop Malone’s discretionary fund-split $500 from Easter offering
- Monetary donations to UMCOR- $420
- UMCOR Hurricane Relief-$6707
- Support of “UMC#Giving Tuesday” and “Alternative Giving” in December
- UMU Kramer’s Social Responsibility Mission Trip to Dominican Republic-$2761
- Support given to the Alliance Area Ulster project-hosting Catholic and Protestant teens from